Monday, May 17, 2010

The Cranes

There are so many kinds of cranes here! I got a close-up visual on many species today during the pod service. The Pod is a building with a circle of exhibits around it. These exhibits are visible to the public while they stroll along the sidewalk circumnavigating the building. Ultimately, I thought this would be a good time to do a run-down of the different crane species.

There are 15 species in the world. ICF has all 15 species! They have various colorations and regions of origin. They all have different calls. I've posted pictures of each species. Feel free to click on the pictures for a closer view of the birds. They are not posted in any particular order.


Most importantly, the Whooping Cranes. There are less than 500 birds in the whole world! ICF is one of the primary organizations contributing to our knowledge about them. ICF is also a key player to their survival in the wild.




ICF also has a lot of Siberian Cranes. We call them 'Sibes' for short. I personally think they are ugly in that albino rat kind-of-way. Nevertheless, they are THE Great White Crane.



This is a Red Crowned Crane. It's making a crouch threat against the other keeper with me. (see Eric in previous posts) The crouch threat is a great way for this particularly aggressive male to protect his egg and his female.


The Eurasian Crane. I have nothing interesting to note about this bird. It's not really endangered (as far as I know), either.





These are the Blue Cranes. They are beautiful, but you would not like to get any closer, trust me. Or maybe you can see the resemblance to a Mr. Montgomery Burns...



Similar to the Blues are Demoiselle Cranes. They are a smaller species, and I've seen pictures of people carrying these cranes around on their shoulder like a pet parrot.



There are two types of crowned cranes: the Black Crowned Crane and the Grey Crowned Crane. This is the Grey. I won't post the other because they are so similar.





These are the Wattled Cranes. Yup, they definitely have a wattle. Gotta love that ugly mug.






We have many Sandhill Cranes: this is a smaller species. We can find these guys all over the eastern states. I know I've seen a few in Michigan. Quite a few wild sandhills have been hanging out around Crane City.








These Brolgas are very intriguing to me. They come from Australia. I like their coloration.







We also have some Black-necked cranes,







some Hooded Cranes,






and some Sarus Cranes.









Most beautiful--in my eyes--are these White-Naped Cranes. Right now we have a pair that are very good parents. They are sitting on a nest and defending it aggressively.

No comments:

Post a Comment