Monday, January 24, 2011

Bleak January and rays of hope

I miss the Tennessee sunshine. Wisconsin's sun is a rare but welcome friend. I visited the sun yesterday while I was out with my snowshoes. It was almost too bright with the snow-glare, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

The insurance company totaled my tracking van. I'm upset that it took so long for them to come to this conclusion. If they had decided that at the beginning, we could've paid for repairs right away and I would've been back on the road weeks ago. Now they've left us with a half-repaired wreck. My opinion on insurance companies has not been improved by recent events.

USFWS, our partner in crane rearing and crane monitoring, will let me borrow their vehicle!! It's an SUV, it's a guzzler, but most importantly, it has an antenna!! hooray! It's fun to drive around government vehicles; the other cars on the road don't always know you can't pull them over, so it'll be a fun little power trip.

On a better note, the long-awaited database is finally functional! I've been entering my crane sightings all weekend. I'm almost halfway through October's observations! Yes, it will take a long time to enter all the information that I've stored up since I started tracking, but it will be worth it.

The database is so cool! It has an interactive map like Google Earth. You can store each sighting to a location on the map, and add more specific information about the birds to each location. The best part about the database is the search functionality. I can't show you how awesome it is without being physically with you to show you. You'll just have to trust me that it's the tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment