Monday, October 11, 2010

The Tracking Beginnings

I'm slowly transitioning into this tracking position, and so far I'm loving it!

They've given me my own van to use (other people can use it, too, of course)

I've been driving it around on refuge and off refuge
Sometimes I drive it around on closed roads. Those "road closed" signs are so unconvincing...

I've been very lucky in finding almost all of my cranes where they are expected. This will probably change once migration starts, but I'm very fortunate to be able to identify their leg bands visually for now while I can still see them close to the road. This cute couple is 11-03 and 12-03. They had a nest earlier in the year, and they had a chick for a while. Unfortunately the chick didn't survive, but the couple has decided to stay in the same area. It's their established territory. They will probably try again next year.


This is the Wood County Family! It's the first time I've seen them, and they were very close to the road eating fallen grain from a harvested corn field. The chick's name is W3-01 (brown). Check out his mother's neck. She has a large bulge in her throat, which means she's been eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment